Dublin City University’s Water Institute and Earthwatch have today published the results of its second WaterBlitz. The WaterBlitz is a survey of water bodies; rivers, lakes, streams and ponds in Ireland, that was conducted by citizen scientists over four days, May 7th – 10th of this year.
Key facts and figures from the Water Blitz
- 583 samples were collected over 4 days across Ireland
- 33 of the 46 river catchments nationwide were sampled
- 38% of streams and 20% of rivers tested for nitrates had lower quality water.
- 26% of streams and 30% of rivers tested for phosphates had lower quality water.
- Litter was present at 26% of sample locations in Dublin
- Participants included 23 river and environmental groups, 17 Tidy Towns and community groups, 4 angling groups and 10 schools.
For more visit DCU website or go directly to the WaterBlitz 2021 project website.